Lavender Essential Oil- Its origin, history, and benefits for skin and hair
Are you amongst those who dream of France when you hear the word “Lavender (Lavandula latifolia)”? Well, you are not alone, even we at Vilasa used to! That is unless we started working on & researching this dreamy, romantic, and relaxing flowering plant! Good quality Lavender is successfully grown in India on the hill slopes of Himachal Pradesh, and the Kashmir valley region.
Ayurveda has a 3000-year history of using essential oils in mind, body and skin healing treatments, and Lavender also does find a mention. The Lavender Essential Oil was not only used for medicinal purposes but was a part of spiritual and beauty rituals. Inhaling Lavender flowers was considered to soothe and calm the body, and hence, it has been used in aromatherapy for ages.
Lavender Essential oil is produced through the steam distillation process. Lavender Essential oil is widely used in skincare for its divine aroma, yes, but it also has several other benefits.
Benefits of Lavender Essential Oil
- Lavender has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, which help treat wounds, burns, and cuts.
- Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, lavender oil is used to treat skin conditions like hyperpigmentation, acne, eczema, and scars.
- Lavender oil is also used in insect repellents.
- The soothing fragrance of lavender essential oil helps relieve headaches, migraine pain, sleeping problems, and anxiety symptoms. It is infused in candles and diffusers to reap its benefits.
- Lavender has antimicrobial properties which prevent typical hair and scalp issues. It also aids in hair growth.
These are all the benefits of using Lavender Essential Oil. But remember, it is a highly concentrated essential oil and should not be ingested or used directly on the skin. Vilasa has curated a range of products containing Lavender Essential Oil that promise to revitalise and rejuvenate your skin:
Vilasa’s Purifying Day Cream contains Lavender with other great ingredients such as Basil and Frankincense. It helps even your skin tone, promotes skin elasticity, and adds radiance to your skin with regular use. Its soothing properties help in skin lightening & the rich concentration of antioxidants makes it useful to battle signs of premature skin ageing as you go about your daily activities.
- Another great product that contains lavender essential oil is the Restoring Daily Face Oil. The 100% Natural Ayurveda inspired formulation reduces blemishes and signs of ageing. It also adds radiance and a glow to your complexion. This face oil has a subtle yet heavenly aroma of Lavender and Rosewood Oil, that calms you and sets you up for a good night’s sleep.