Touch is the first language a baby understands. Now, when you have brought a new life into this world, it's the power of your gentle and loving touch that soothes her. The most auspicious and nurturing gift you can give your baby after birth.
Your mother or grandmother might have told you to massage your baby regularly as the baby massage is a common tradition in India. But is there any science behind this or how it can be beneficial for your little one? Let's explore.
What is a baby massage?
Baby massage involves rhythmic and gentle stroking the baby's body with hands using massage oil. The use of oils helps your hands glide smoothly on your baby's body. While massaging, talking softly, humming, or singing to your baby may make it more reassuring for the little one. Interacting with the baby while massaging helps nourish the baby and helps the baby's brain grow and develop.
Moreover, the gentle movement of your hands produces a happy hormone- oxytocin in you and your baby. It helps deepen your bonding with the baby.
What are the benefits of baby massage?
Baby massage offers many natural benefits to your little one. These include:
- Helps sleep better: Massaging helps your baby to sleep better. Researchers have found that massaging and gentle touch significantly affect the sleep state of babies. It increased the sleeping state and decreased the awakening state of the babies.
- Relax the baby and the mother: In addition to regulating your baby's sleep/wake cycle, massage releases endorphins (happy hormones) in your baby and you that help relax both of you.
- Better motor development: Regular massage helps develop the baby's motor skills. It is also good for the emotional well-being of the baby.
- Help recover from jaundice: One study has shown that baby massage could help reduce bilirubin levels in the infant having jaundice. Massage therapy stimulated intestinal movements and increased defecation (stool passing) frequency. Thus, it resulted in early recovery from jaundice.
- Improves immunity: Did you know massaging strengthens the immune system of babies? Well, yes! Regular massage increases the number of white blood cells in the body, which helps babies fight infections better.
- Reduce stress and anxiety: Stress suppresses the immune system and makes us prone to infections. Massaging your baby relieves stress and anxiety for both you and your baby. Massaging decreases stress hormone levels (cortisol) and increases feel-good hormone levels (oxytocin). Thus, help relieve stress.
- Improve blood circulation: Massaging helps improve the blood circulation of your baby. Massage in the abdominal area helps stimulate digestion and gives relief from gas.
When can massage be done?
After reading all the amazing benefits of massaging, you might be wondering when you can massage your baby. Well, you can give a daily massage to your little one. You can give a massage after a bath or before bedtime. Do not massage for 45 minutes after feeding the baby. Moreover, pay close attention to the lubricant you use for your baby's soft skin. Try choosing natural and pure oils for massage to prevent friction. Choose edible oil for your baby as it will be safe if it gets into the baby's mouth.
Considering all these concerns, we at VILASA have developed 100% virgin, cold-pressed apricot oil and coconut oil. We are offering the secret of healthy and nourished skin of your baby straight from the upper reaches of the Himalayas in the form of apricot oil. It is naturally rich in fatty acids, vitamin A, C, and E. It ignites a sense of love and care and offers skin softening properties.
Coconut oil is an excellent massage oil sourced straight from the fruits of Kerala. We care for you and deliver the best to you in its purest form- raw and unrefined. This oil has hydrating and antibacterial properties. It moisturizes the skin and even acts as a natural UV protectant for babies.
You can also try the VILASA regime of Sparsh - a specially curated gift box for the newborn. In addition to the goodness of coconut oil and apricot oil, this gift pack contains a special Kansa Katori to heat the oil before the massage. Kansa (an alloy of tin and copper) is a sacred metal. It has been known for its enormous benefits for ages. It helps boost immunity, induce sleep, and tune the body's spiritual energy centres or chakras. So, if you or your loved one is about to bring a new life to this planet, this will be the best nourishing and thoughtful gift for the little one.
Massage is the most loving and touching experience in your baby's development. A gentle massage can work wonders in the overall development of your baby. Add natural oils from VILASA in your baby's skincare regime along with your affectionate embrace and experience the positivity of massage therapy. And make memories together!