The “Elixir of Life”- Benefits of basil extract for skin and hair
The most common plant in Indian households? The “Elixir of Life” from Ayurveda? The “Royal Herb” of ancient Greece? The “embalming herb” in early Egypt? The “protector” herb around Indian temples? The answer to all of the above is Basil! And it has been around in various parts of the world for over 5000 years!
Basil belongs to the aromatic shrub family “Ocimum" that has been proven to promote healthy mind, spirit, and body. It is believed that daily consumption of basil leaves prevents many diseases like high blood pressure, anxiety, diabetes, cough, asthma. Therefore, people used to eat raw basil leaves in ancient times (we all would have seen our grandparents do so too at some point in time!). It was also used extensively in ancient beauty rituals because it adds a glow to the skin and protects it from environmental damage. Basil, popularly known as Tulsi or Holy Basil in India, has been forever used to treat ailments for ages. Many houses in India have a basil plant to symbolise good luck and prosperity. And that is also why Basil is considered the ‘Mother Medicine of Nature’ in India.
Benefits of Basil for the skin:
- Basil has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that treat and prevent dandruff. It strengthens hair follicles, which aids in hair growth.
- Basil has antidepressant properties. Consuming basil extract helps people relieve stress and anxiety.
- The basil plant contains vitamin A and C, Calcium, Zinc, Iron, and chlorophyll which makes it a great supplement for humans. It is recommended to drink Basil tea daily to boost immunity and overall health.
- Basil's antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties help heal bacterial and fungal infections and treat scars on the skin.
- Basil extract purifies skin and unclogs pores, preventing acne, blackheads, and whiteheads.
- Basil extract is rich in vitamin C, which adds brightness to the skin.
Thus, basil extract's antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties make it a key ingredient in skincare.
Vilasa Purifying Day Cream is made with Basil, Lavender & Frankincense blend. The basil extract helps clear the skin, promotes brightness, fights acne and blemishes, and effectively reduces the signs of ageing. It also aids in restoring skin elasticity.